CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 22, 2011

Marathons and Half Marathons they are all the same to me!!

As most of you know Jonah loves running. 
After his father, Vernon, passed away he decided to exercise and get in shape. Why he took up running I don't know. For the past 7 years often I am tackled by Jonah saying, " Hey guess what.. there is a marathon in..... it can be our trip.... come on you'll have fun.." 
So I am convinced that a trip to Nashville or Washington DC while 6 months pregnant is a great idea.  
He is so into running he has convinced others to run half Marathon's and marathons.  
His determination to run and waking up at 4am really amazes me. Anyone who will wake up at 4 am to go run is CRAZY!!  Or that's what I think!!



Why do people run marathons? Why do people run to the point of physical and mental exhaustion? Why do some do it over and over again? 

1. “I was brought up as a runner and have run my whole life”
2. “My friends and/or family are runners and I did it to join them”
3. “I was bored with how things were going in my life and I needed a change”
4. “Over the past few years I’ve managed to really put on some weight and needed to get back in shape”
5. “I read about a cause such as breast cancer or HIV/AIDS that I could raise money and awareness for by running a marathon”
6. “I believe that people were made to run
7. “I’m not the religious type, but there’s something spiritual about running in the outdoors and interacting with our world in a very simple yet inspiring way. To me, running is my religion since it brings me peace and happiness”
8. “Running marathons makes me happy and gives me a sense of accomplishment”
9. “I would love to be a swimmer but I suck at it”
10. “It’s a challenge”
11. “I’m addicted to collecting the finisher’s medals” (My personal favorite!)
12. “I ran a half marathon and felt great about it, so I figured I have it in me to run a full marathon”
13. “There’s a certain sense of honor I get by participating in an event with such deep roots in world history”
14. “It’s one of those things I promised myself I would do before I die”
15. “I’m an adrenaline junkie and crossing the finish line is a thrill”
16. “My friends pressured me into it”
17. “Running seemed like a healthy hobby to pick up and over time I got better at it”
18. “I had an injury and my doctor told me that structured exercise would help me recover. As I got stronger I become more addicted to running and staying fit and it all ballooned from there”
19. “I lost a loved one and wanted to dedicate a marathon in their memory”
20. “Growing up I never played sports. When I became an adult I decided to change that and got into running”
21. “In my professional life I’ve noticed that I automatically get more respect because I’m an endurance runner. Running marathons is my way of maintaining a professional edge”
22. “I want to be a positive role model in my kids life”

Deep down I do know why Jonah took up running, he wanted to be in shape, he wanted to get away and running is his stress reliever. Jonah is also a competitor and what better way to compete than to run till you cant run anymore.. Till your body bleeds... your muscles ache... you cant stand... you cant sweat anymore ... Sounds a little bit tiring and GROSS to me but I think that's why he runs!! 


Here are some pictures from our half- marathon and marathon trips.. His next marathon.. Houston in January.. I will keep you updated with his accomplishments..  


Nashville 2010, I ran and finished in Record time!! LOL
 Richmond.. Jonahs first marathon

 he thought he was going to die.. he cramped up
 Washington DC Marine Corp Marathon
 If it wasn't for Grant and Sunshine I would have never found Jonah.. Yeah 6 months pregnant running around DC is interesting

 Ray Tanner Run

 Bridge Run in Charleston

 Patrick Henry, Stonewall and I cheering Jonah on in Richmond
 The beginning.. He looks good...wait till the end

 Me in the mist... I  had walking pneumonia or bronchitis.. it was really cold and wet but I ran with him a bit to cheer him on!!

 I told you I was sick RIGHT!!

Cooper River Bridge Run In Charleston.. not a marathon but see he recruited Miriam, Matt, Cara and Bryan!!




And YES he recruited me. 
I only ran a 10 k.. but see Jonahs time was super fast so he went in the first group. Jonah signed me up for the last one with the walkers.. I ran 3/4 of it even when I had only trained to run 1/2 of it.. Yes Jonah ran it once alone and then with me.. 
But look I'm running!! That was before I had Lawson... Run again??? Who knows!!

WATCH OUT YOU MIGHT BE THE NEXT RECRUITED !!


1 comment:

  1. I don't want to be recruited, but can't wait to see y'all in January :-)

    ReplyDelete