CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 4, 2011

National Breastfeeding Awareness Week

Although National Breastfeeding Awareness Week is coming to a close I wanted to take a moment to recognize it. Growing up I never thought about breast feeding.. Having a baby didnt cross my mind much till I got married. I knew my brother, Grant, and I were both formula fed and I didnt know much about breastfeeding. Since alot of my close friends had children before I did, I learned a lot about breast feeding from them. Once I was pregnant with Lawson I told Jonah I wanted to breastfeed because it would help Lawson not have to deal with the allergies and asthma issues I had, Or so I hoped.

I’m so thankful that nursing has become “popular” again among new, young moms. Let’s hope this is a trend that never fades away! For whatever reason, our own mothers were encouraged to forget the breast and use formula only. WHY did this happen? Formula companies? Who knows. What matters is that breastfeeding is back in a BIG WAY.

Health benefits for baby:
  • Children receive the most complete and optimal mix of nutrients & antibodies
  • The varying composition of breastmilk keeps pace with the infant’s individual growth and changing nutritional needs
  • Have fewer incidences of vomiting and diarrhea
  • Reduced risk of chronic constipation, colic, and other stomach upsets
  • Reduced risk of childhood diabetes and obesity
  • Protection against ear infections, respiratory illnesses, pneumonia, bronchitis, kidney infections, allergies, asthma, eczema, meningitis, botulism, childhood lymphoma, crohn’s disease and ulcerative entercolits
  • Reduced risk of SIDS. (Statistics reveal that for every 87 deaths from SIDS, only 3 are breastfed.)
  • Decreased risk of tooth decay, heart disease, acute appendicitis, rheumatoid arthritis, inguinal hernia, and pyloric stenosis
  • Nursing promotes facial structure development, enhanced speech, straighter teeth and enhances vision
  • Increased bone density
  • Antibody response to vaccines are higher
  • Are hospitalized 10 times less than formula fed infants in the first year of life
Health benefits for mom:
  • Reduced risk of breast, ovarian, cervical, and endometrial cancers
  • Reduced risk of anemia
  • Protection against osteoporosis and hip fracture later in life
  • Helps the mother’s body return to its pre-pregnancy state faster - promotes weight loss…can burn from 500 - 1,500 calories per day
  • Develops a special emotional relationship and bonding with her child
  • Breastmilk is free - reducing or eliminating the cost of formula (in the thousands of dollars/per year)
  • Helps the uterus contract after birth to control postpartum bleeding
These benefits and MORE can be seen here.

As a nursing mom, I take joy in telling others about my experience (the good and the hard parts!) and spreading the word. I encourage my friends to breastfeed, openly talk about it with anyone and everyone. Although I don't feel comfortable about nursing in public, I can always find a way to make breast feeding work when out and about. The more comfortable we are with it, the more “normal” it will be for others.
Breastfeeding makes me feel good.  I’ve lost the baby weight quickly and easily.Though it was extremely hard in the beginning, I kept telling myself it would get easier and it is. I have created a bond with Lawson through this time and as Jonah says, " I will probably cry when I spot breast feeding".

I know breastfeeding isn’t for everyone. Some moms have a lot of difficulty with nursing. Others find it easier to use formula. As long as we do what’s best for mom & baby - THAT is what matters. Every family is different and we should celebrate that. As moms, we should support each other no matter what because we’re all in this together!

So, cheers to the boobies! Let’s keep our kiddos strong and healthy and give them the best start in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment