CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

HAIR!! ITS EVERYWHERE

I have heard stories of hair loss about 3 months after giving birth but I never thought I would shed more than the dogs do, especially Stonewall.

This is insane my hair falls out in clumps when Lawson pulls it, when I shower, when i dry it, or put it up. Jonah is grossed out by the amount of hair balls in the shower daily and has requested me clean out the shower after every bath. Though I am loosing gobs of hair my hair does not seem thinner so I did what I normally do, searched the Internet for an answer and here is what I found.

Normally, about 85 to 95 percent of the hair on your head is growing and the other 5 to 15 percent is in a resting stage. After the resting period, this hair falls out — often while you're brushing or shampooing it — and is replaced by new growth. An average woman sheds about 100 hairs a day.

During pregnancy, increased levels of estrogen prolong the growing stage. There are fewer hairs in the resting stage and fewer falling out each day, so you have thicker, more luxuriant tresses.

After you give birth, your estrogen levels take a tumble and a lot more hair follicles enter the resting stage. Soon you'll have more hair coming out in the shower or on the brush. This unusual shedding will taper off and your hair will be back to its pre-pregnancy thickness about six to 12 months after you give birth.

So I have 6 months to a year to deal with this.. OUCH!! Guess I'll be gathering hairballs from the shower for quite some time. This article also suggested the following to deal with it...

You won't be able to stop the hair from falling out, but you can experiment with different hairstyles or products (such as hair thickeners or mousse) to give your hair a fuller look during this transition period.

Many moms, tired of scooping hair out of shower drains or sweeping strands off the bathroom floor, find that now is a good time to go for a short cut. Plus, a short, wash-and-go hairstyle can be easier to take care of when you have a new baby in the house and you're strapped for time.

A note to new moms with long hair: Strands of hair can end up tightly wrapped around your baby's tiny appendages, including his fingers, toes, wrists, ankles, and penis. This is called a hair tourniquet, and it can be quite painful for your little one. If you find him crying for no apparent reason, check carefully for tight bands of hair.

First off.. NO SHORT HAIR.. do you know how hard it is for me to even get my hair dry while taking care of Lawson. Sometimes its an act of congress.. LOL! 
Plus my hair is wavy and I am not able to let it dry naturally and it look decent. Jonah calls it crazy hair when i just let it dry naturally. So for now I guess I will deal with the shedding and hair everywhere! 

Hey at least I'm not going bald....

YET!!

3 comments:

  1. Really?! I had no idea this happened!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! So true! I have the same problem with short hair. My hair is natrually curly/wavy and is a frizz ball when air dried! Uuugghh!

    ReplyDelete